1. SHANTIVANAM – SACCIDANDA ASHRAM
TRICHY DIOCESE – LATIN RITE
Founded on 21.03.1950
Shantivanam owes its origin and growth to the three eminent monks – Fr. Jules Monchannin of Lyons, Fr. Henri Lte Saux of the Benedictines of Solemes and Fr. Bede Griffiths of Prinknash Abbey, England. Though it was founded in 1950, it remained unstructured until Fr.Bede Griffiths and a group of monks from Kurisumala took it over.
In 1980, it was affiliated to the Carmadolese Benedictine Order. It has, however, retained its characteristics of traditional Indian Ashram. The monks wear saffron robes, go barefooted, sit on the floor, eat with their hands, keep to a strict vegetarian diet and seek to earn their living by manural labour. It aims at forming monks who not only lead a community life, but also one of solitary life in separate hermitages. The Ashram also makes pioneering efforts in inter religious dialogue especially with Hinduism. It has evolved a common liturgy of its own shared by all. It is a place of prayer and meditation open to all, who in St.Benedict’s words, come “truly seeking God”.
Sacro Eremo, Camaldoli
52010 Camaldoli (AR),
Fr. George Nelliyanil (Prior)
Priest/Monks-7, Simple Professed Brothers-2, Novice-1, TOTAL-10, Oblate-1
LOCATION AND ROUTES :
In Thannirpalli, 2 km from Kulithalai this, in turn, is 38 km from Trichy.
By Car :
From Trichy, take the road towards Karur. Upon arrival in Kulithalai, follow the signs for Thannirpalli. The monastery is on the left of the road going to Karur.
By Bus :
From Trichy central Bus Station, take a bus going towards Karur, get down at Kulithalai. From there take an auto to Thannirpalli.
By Rail :
From Trichy central bus station, take a bus going towards Karur, get down at Kulithalai. From there, take an auto to Thannirpalli.
Trains from Kerala and Bangalore pass through Kulithalai. Visitors travelling from these places can, therefore, get off at Kulthalai station and take an auto to Thannirpalli.
By Air :
From Trichy airport, follow directions for “By Car”, or “By Bus” or “By Rail”.